Instagram has today launched Bolt, a one-to-one visual messaging app for iOS and Android that lets you capture and send photos and videos to friends with just one tap. Instagram pitch it as simply the fastest way to share an image or a video.
Bolt is the first new standalone app from the Instagram team. It launches exclusively today in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa.
Mobile messaging is how people communicate today, but sharing an image still takes too many steps and too much time. Bolt is designed to be fast and simple – it’s for communicating in that moment with people you’re close to, as quickly as possible.
“Bolt lets you shoot and send photos to your best friends—with one tap,” said an Instagram spokesperson. “Send both photos and videos as fast as you see them. Bolt is the newest app from the team who brought you Instagram.”
Here’s how it works
• Sign up with your phone number, no email address needed.
• Add friends to your “favourites” list
• With just a single tap, you shoot and send a photo or video.
• Add text captions if you want – you can also reply directly to messages you receive with a photo
• Once you swipe away a Bolt message, it’s gone
What is Bolt? The quick overview
• Standalone, one-to-one photo and video messaging app
• One tap to instantly capture photo or video, choose recipient, and send
• Optional text/captioning
• Sign up with your mobile phone number
• Add up to 20 contacts (“favourites”) to message 1:1
• New Zealand/ app stores from July 30, 2014
• iOS (iOS 7+) and Android (Ice Cream Sandwich +)